We’ve teamed up with Granta Books to give 10 readers the chance to win a copy of Islander: A Journey around Our Archipelago!
The people of the British Isles are an island race. We are distributed across an archipelago of two large islands and 6,289 smaller ones. Some, like the Isle of Man, resemble miniature nations, with their own language and tax laws; others, like Ray Island in Essex are abandoned and mysterious places haunted by myths, ghosts and rats. There are resurgent islands such as Eigg, which have been liberated from capricious owner-dictators; holy islands like Bardsey, the resting place of 20,000 saints, and still a site of spiritual questing; and dying islands such as St Kilda, famed for the evacuation of its people, and now dominated by wild sheep and seabirds. Our small islands are both places of freedom and imprisonment, party destinations and oases of peace, strangely suburban and deeply wild. They are places where the past is unusually present, but they can also offer a vision of alternative future. At times of crisis, the centre often looks to the periphery for escape, and inspiration.
In this evocative book, Patrick Barkham travels from larger small islands to ever-smaller islands in search of their special magic. Meeting all kinds of islanders, from nuns to puffins, from dropouts to rare subspecies of vole, he seeks to discover what it is to be an islander. How do communities function on small islands? Are they insular or outward looking? Are eccentrics attracted to islands, or do islands make people eccentric? Do they keep us sane or drive us mad? Patrick's journey across the British Isles sets out to answer these questions. Along the way, he uncovers bizarre and touching stories about island life, meets a host of curious characters and native species, and explores some of the most beautiful landscapes in Britain.
To be in with a chance of winning simply answer the below question correctly:
1) The competition will open on 2nd November 2017 and will close on 31st December 2017.
2) The competition is open to UK residents only.
3) It is the responsibility of entrants to check thoroughly the terms and conditions that apply to each competition (available onor via post as set out below). Entrants must be 18 or over.
4) Hubert Burda Media accepts no liability for any aspect of the prize to the fullest extent permitted by UK law. There is no cash alternative, the prize is not transferable and it may not be used in conjunction with any other offer.
5) The prizes are as stated, are not transferable to another individual and no cash or other alternatives will be offered. The prize includes delivery but not installation.
6) Prizes are subject to availability and the prize suppliers' terms and conditions. In the event of a prize being unavailable, the promoter and prize supplier reserve the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
7) Proof of postage is not proof of receipt.
8) By entering you are giving permission for Hubert Burda Media UK and the competition prize provider to contact you.
9) Only one entry per person. Entrants suspected of submitting multiple entries may have all their entries rejected.
10) The competition is open to anyone in the UK over the age of 18, apart from employees of Hubert Burda Media UK and any other companies involved in the competition, including employees of Fenetic, their families, associated agents or anyone else who is directly connected with the creation or administration of such competitions.
11) The Editor’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
12) The winner will be selected at random from all correct entries received.
13) Whilst every effort is made to ensure prizes are consistent with those offered, we reserve the right to change prizes in the event of unforeseen circumstances. If any prize winner cannot take a prize for any reason, including by reason of inconvenient dates, ill health, inability to travel etc., then Hubert Burda Media UK may seek an alternative prize winner who is able to receive the prize in the manner offered and shall be under no obligation to change the prize or offer any alternative.
14) Hubert Burda Media UK reserves the right to take action (including any legal action it considers appropriate) against any person in breach of any term or condition of any competition.
15) Hubert Burda Media UK may change the terms and conditions that apply to any competition at its discretion. Any such changes may be posted on the LandLove website or otherwise notified to entrants. It is the responsibility of entrants to check thoroughly the terms and conditions that apply to each competition.
16) There is no provision for third party offers or codes in conjunction with this offer. Reproduction of this competition in whole or in part without written permission is prohibited. Hubert Burda Media UK reserves the right to prosecute any offending parties.
17) Winners must be willing to participate in publicity if required.
Win! A set three pocket squares worth £50!