Posted 16th Jun 2016
Put a seafood spin on your picnic this National Picnic Week and try these fishy dishes that the family will love
Fish finger club sandwich
4 Young’s mmega 3 fish fingers
2 rashers of streaky bacon
2 slices of chunky farmhouse crusty bread
1 tomato sliced
1 avocado, peeled and sliced
1 spoonful of good quality mayonnaise
1. Pre-heat the oven to 220°C/190°C Fan/Gas Mark 7 and cook the fish fingers according to the instructions on pack.
2. Grill the streaky bacon until crispy.
3. Build the sandwich layering the fish fingers, tomato, avocado and streaky bacon onto the bread.
4. Finish with a spoonful of mayonnaise and top with the second slice of bread.
Prawn, Avocado & Mango Salad
1 ripe avocado, peeled
1 mango, peeled & cheeks removed
2 hearts of romaine lettuce
1 pack Young’s cooked and peeled king prawns, defrosted
3 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
Juice of 2 limes
A few coriander leaves to garnish
Toasted sour dough to serve
1. Cut the avocado & mango lengthways into thin slices.
2. Cut the base off the lettuces & slice the leaves into chunky pieces.
3. Place the leaves in a bowl with the avocado, mango & king prawns.
4. To make the dressing, mix the sweet chilli sauce & the lime juice together. Pour the dressing over the salad & toss gently to combine.
5. Divide the salad between two plates & garnish with coriander.
6. Serve with slices of toasted sour dough bread.
Smoked Salmon Bruschetta
1 ciabatta loaf or crusty baguette
1 ripe avocado peeled & cut in small chunks
2 tbsp finely chopped red onion
2 tsp capers, rinsed and coarsely chopped
2 tbsp thinly sliced fresh mint
2 tsp olive oil
1 Pack Young’s Scottish smoked salmon
1. Cut the ciabatta into thick slices and lightly toast until brown on both sides.
2. In a bowl gently mix together the avocado, onions, capers and mint with olive oil and a squeeze of lime juice. Season to taste.
3. Lightly spread the toast with cream cheese. Place the smoked salmon slices on top.
4. Top with a spoonful of the avocado mixture & finish with a twist of freshly ground black pepper & grated lime zest.
Smoked salmon rolls
1 tub of cream cheese
1tbsp of finely chopped dill
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste1 Pack Young’s Scottish smoked salmon
1. Mix the cream cheese with the dill, cayenne and salt and pepper to taste.
2. Spread the cream cheese over the smoked salmon slices and roll-up like a Swiss roll, trim off the ends and wrap tightly in cling film, twisting the ends to firmly enclose.
3. Place in the fridge for 1 hour.
4. To serve remove the cling film and using a sharp knife slice into bitesize appetisers.
Breaded Scampi Wraps with a Spicy Avocado Mayo
1 pack Young’s wholetail scampi
4 regular soft flour tortillas
1 ripe avocado, peeled, halved & stone removed
Juice of ½ lemon
¼ tsp of chopped red chilli (seeds out)
2 tablespoon good quality mayonnaise
Ground black pepper
2 little gem lettuces, washed & finely shredded
1. Cook the Scampi according to the instructions on the pack.
2. Warm the soft tortillas according to the instructions on the pack.
3. Place the avocado in a bowl & crush with a fork, add the lemon juice, chilli & mayonnaise then season with black pepper. Stir until well combined.
4. Spread each tortilla with the avocado mayonnaise.
5. Top with the little gem lettuce & the scampi and roll the wraps.
Recipes courtesy of Youngs