Posted 16th Jul 2016
Are you a fan of cherries? Enjoy some tasty fun this weekend and bake up some delicious treats as today is National Cherry Day
Did you know that cherries were introduced to Britain by the Romans? They brought them over from Persia, and some said say that the ancient roads can be traced from where marching Roman legions had spat out the seeds, leading to orchards.
Yet over the last fifty years there has been a significant decline. We now have to import around 95% of our cherries.
Therefore National Cherry Day is aiming to raise awareness to maintain our traditional orchard and encourage the growth of more.
Red Cherry and Blueberry Pie
You will need
250g plain flour
125g cold butter, diced
2-3 tbs cold water
1tbs caster sugar
1 x 410g can of Princes Red Cherry and Blueberry Pie Filling
1. Pre-heat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/Gas mark 5.
2. Sift the flour into a bowl, add the butter and rub in with your fingers until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Gradually add enough of the water to combine to make a stiff dough. Wrap in cling film and chill for 20 minutes.
3. Roll out half of the pastry on a floured board and use a 6cm fluted cutter to cut out 10 to 12 rounds. Roll out the other half of the pastry, along with any trimmings and cut out 10 to 12 discs using a 7-8cm cutter.
4. Line 10 to 12 holes of a patty tin with the larger discs then divide the Princes Red Cherry and Blueberry Pie Filling between them, taking care not to overfill them.
5. Dampen the edges of the pastry slightly and place the smaller discs on top, gently pressing the edges to seal them.
6. Beat the egg and milk together with a fork. Brush the pie tops with the egg mixture then sprinkle with the sugar.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Leave for a few minutes before removing from the tins, taking care as the filling will be very hot. Delicious served warm with custard.
Black Cherry Chocolate Muffins
You will need
225g plain flour
½ tsp salt
4 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
150g caster sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
90g butter, melted
410g can Princes Black Cherry Fruit Filling
300g medium fat soft cheese
30g icing sugar
Chocolate flake or chocolate curls, to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan oven 170°C/Gas Mark 5. Put 12 paper muffin cases into a muffin tin.
2. Sift the flour, salt, cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar.
3. In a jug, beat the egg, milk and vanilla extract together, then stir in the melted butter. Pour into the dry ingredients and add half the can of Princes Black Cherry Fruit Filling. Stir until just combined - do not beat!
4. Share the mixture between the muffin cases. Bake for 23-25 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
5. Mix the soft cheese and icing sugar together. Use to top the muffins, along with the remaining Black Cherry Fruit Filling and some crumbled chocolate flake or chocolate curls.
Recipes courtesy of Princes