Posted 1st Dec 2016
There's nothing better than wrapping up and heading out for a walk in the woods on a cold winter's day. Don't let the temperature put you off, be inspired to get crafting by the colours, sounds and scents of winter
1. Begin by downloading our ‘Heart’ template here.
2. The template will print out on two A4 pages. Position the two pages together to form a heart shape and then join them with a length of sticky tape. Cut round the outside of the heart. You can make your own template if you wish to.
3. Tape the template to a thin piece of MDF or plywood. Use a pencil and draw round the outside. Cut round the heart shape with a handsaw or electric jigsaw. Smooth the edges with sandpaper or a sanding block and then wipe clean.
4. Use a chop saw to cut a selection of logs and branches onto 2-4mm-thick slices. Glue the wooden slices to the surface of the heart with wood glue or a glue gun. Vary the sizes of the slices across the heart; the smaller slices are good for filling in gaps created by the bigger slices. Leave to dry.
5. To finish, drill a 5-8mm hole at the top of the heart and thread with strong twine ready to hang.
Tip: You can buy ready cut log slices online from www.bakerross.co.uk if you don’t want to make your own.