Posted 21st May 2015
To celebrate British Tomato Week (18th to 24th May) we spoke with Suttons Seeds' Senior Horticultural Manager, Tom Sharples, to find out what top tips to follow when growing tomatoes at home
1. Choose the fruit type you prefer e.g. cherry, standard, plum, beefsteak etc.
2. Then, choose between a ‘bush’ or single stem upward growing type. For best results, choose a grafted plant from the garden centre.
3. Plant into a good quality compost or fertile garden soil.
4. After four weeks commence weekly feeding with a high potash liquid feed.
5. Support upright growing types with stout canes or string.
6. Increase feeding to twice weekly if the leaf colour begins to pale.
7. Remove the main growing point on upright types when 4-5 fruit trusses have formed.
8. Keep picking ripe fruit for maximum yield.
Visit www.suttons.co.uk to find out more or to buy your tomato seeds.