10 things to make sure your dog doesn't eat this Christmas

10 things to make sure your dog doesn't eat this Christmas


Posted 30th Nov 2017


Pet owners are being urged to be cautious this time of year

An astounding third of pet owners will experience an emergency during the festive season, with out-of-hours pet emergency service Vets Now, seeing a 33 per cent surge in calls during the run-up to Christmas, with worried pet owners battling with the unexpected dangers Christmas can bring. For instance, there will be a 788 per cent increase in chocolate poisoning cases alone over Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

Dave Leicester, Head of Clinical Intelligence at Vets Now, said: "As a nation of pet lovers we all want to make sure our cherished companions join in with family Christmas celebrations, but at such a busy time of year for families, it’s easy to overlook the many hazards which can put them at risk of injury or illness."

"We are encouraging pet owners not to let treats turn into treatment. There are well-known dangers – such as chocolate and raisins – that could put your pet at risk this Christmas, but many pet owners might not be aware of the more unexpected dangers that could see you spending your Christmas in the pet emergency room."

The ten Christmas hazards for pets to avoid during Christmas are:

1 Chocolate: Chocolate contains a stimulant called theobromine, similar to caffeine, which will be severely poisonous to cats and dogs.

2 Mince Pies and Christmas Puddings: all grapes, raisins, currants and sultanas are toxic to dogs, as are any food that contain them.

3 Blue Cheese: this contains a substance called roquefortine C which dogs are extremely sensitive to.

4 Tinsel: dogs will eat tinsel like we eat spaghetti, causing blockages in the stomach.

5 Macadamia nuts: often found in cookies or as a Christmas snack, nuts can cause severe illness in dogs.

6 Garlic, chives and onion will be found in many foods, including gravy, stuffing and sausages. All Allum species are poisonous to dogs.

7 Snow globes: imported versions may contain antifreeze, with as little as a tablespoon proving fatal for a cat.

8 Candles: these can burn paws and the curious noses of our furry friends, while posing a fire hazard as they can fall over when brushed against.

9 Fairy lights: cats are curious, trying to chew on anything, which includes fairy lights that can otherwise burn them and wires which can electrocute them.

10 Alcohol: this can cause severe liver and brain damage - as little as a tablespoon can cause problems for your cat or dog.

Tips courtesy of Vets Now





Related articles
Posted 27th Jul 2018

Ensuring your puppy gets enough brain food

Ensuring your puppy gets enough brain food


Posted 27th Jul 2018

The wonderful gooseberry

The wonderful gooseberry


Posted 27th Jul 2018

Staying in the Norfolk Broads

Staying in the Norfolk Broads


Posted 23rd Jul 2018

A look at Dudley Canal Tunnel

A look at Dudley Canal Tunnel


July issue on sale 7th June

Subscribe to our newsletter