We know from your emails, letters and social media posts that you enjoy taking photos of the British countryside and our native wildlife. So send us your best shots and you could win some fantastic prizes!
We’ve had an amazing response to the LandLove Photographic Competition over the last four years and once again we wanted to give you the chance to impress us with your photography skills. Each year we receive an overwhelming response and we know that this year will be no different. There are 12 categories for you to enter in this year’s competition all aimed at celebrating the very best of the landscapes, flora and wildlife found in rural and coastal areas across the British Isles.
The best photo in each category, as chosen by our judging panel of Lauren Morton – Editor of LandLove, Laura Robertson – LandLove’s Designer and members of the Jessops Academy, will feature in our September 2018 issue. From those 12 finalists we will choose one overall winner. The person who takes that winning photo will receive a fantastic camera and photo gift package courtesy of Fujifilm and Jessops (www.jessops.com). The prize includes a Fujifilm X-T20 Mirrorless Camera in Silver with 16-50mm lens that’s perfect for outdoor photographers. It features a 24.3 megapixel sensor for superb image quality, 4K high speed HD video recording and dual image stabiliser (RRP £899). The winner will also receive a £100 Jessops photo voucher that can be redeemed across a huge range of printing services and gifts, and a place on a Jessops Academy Birds of Prey Course (RRP £125) to help you get the most out of your camera when capturing nature’s beautiful creatures.
Each category finalist will receive a year’s subscription to LandLove magazine, a YubiKey 4 courtesy of Yubico (www.yubico.com), a fantastic prize bundle from Beau & Elliot (www.navigate.ltd.uk), a copy of 30-Second Photography published by Ivy Press (www.quartoknows.com/ivy-press) and a bird house to welcome nature into your garden from The Posh Shed Company (www.theposhshedcompany.co.uk).
You don’t need fancy equipment to take a winning shot, just a great eye and a knack for being in the right place at the right time. The competition is open to amateur photographers, excluding anyone who earns more than 50 per cent of their income from photography. Entries must have been taken in the UK, must not have been offered for sale and must not have won other competitions. The closing date for entries is midnight on 24th June 2018. You may enter up to four photographs. Each photo can only be entered into one category. We are sorry but we cannot return any entries. Please read them carefully before entering.
Enter online by emailing your photographs to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, address, contact number and which category you would like to enter each photo into, along with a brief description of where each photograph was taken. Alternatively, you can post it to LandLove, by sending it to LandLove Photo Competition, Hubert Burda Media UK, The Tower, Phoenix Square, Colchester, Essex, CO4 9HU.
1 Fabulous Flora
In this category we’re looking for beautiful images of Britain’s wild, uncultivated plants, trees and flowers, as well as gorgeous gardens.
2 Birds of a Feather
From colourful native garden birds to majestic raptors, on the wing or on your bird feeders, we look forward to seeing your beautiful photos of our feathered friends.
3 Lovely Landscapes
From flat fens to rolling fields, snow capped mountains to windswept moors, we look forward to seeing your images celebrating our varied and breathtaking vistas.
4 Beside the seaside
Piers jutting out to sea, squabbling sea birds, golden sands and the beautiful briny sea evoke memories of days spent on the beach – plenty to inspire you.
5 Wonderful Wildlife
We’re blessed with a wealth of wild animals in the UK, from deer to hares, otters to wild ponies, we can’t wait to see your entries.
6 It’s a Bug’s Life
Get up close and personal with Britain’s native butterflies, bees, spiders and caterpillars to create a winning shot for this category.
7 Your pets in the countryside
We know you love your pets, so we’d love to see some photos of them out enjoying the fresh air. From a dog frolicking in the woods to a horse cantering in a meadow, or your cat lazing in the sunshine.
8 Whatever the Weather
Our ever changing weather offers plenty of photo opportunities for this category – think rainbows, snowflakes, April showers, sparkling frost and bright summer sun.
9 Water, Water Everywhere
Sparkling lochs, peaceful meres, dramatic waterfalls, babbling brooks and winding rivers are hidden inland across Britain, so you should find plenty to inspire you for this category.
10 Historic havens
Whether it’s a historic property brimming with charm or your favourite landmark, Britain is filled with beautiful history-rich spots. So, snap away when you see a captivating place of historical significance.
11 Sunrise and sunset
Whether it’s the first golden rays peeking over the horizon, or the final glow before twilight beckons, the sun’s movement at the start and end of a day can make for some breathtaking photographs.
12 Forgotten Gems
If you stumble upon a tucked away cave, a long forgotten castle left in ruins or simply standing stones hidden by Mother Nature, then use this category to bring it back to life.
Photo by Alison Davies
Prize: Jessops photo voucher to be redeemed within any Jessops store by 30th December 2018. The voucher is to be used in one transaction and is not to be used in conjunction with any other offer. Only the original voucher will be accepted. The Jessops Academy course prize has a 12 month expiry date from the date the winner is informed.
Size and printing images: There is no maximum limit regarding the size of the images you may send in, but your image must be a minimum of A4 in size. Images will be judged on the quality of the image not the quality of the printing. Images submitted digitally must be at least hi-res 300dpi and 5MB in file size. Hubert Burda Media UK takes no responsibility for corrupted or late entries. Postal entries will be required to send in a digital copy of their image if it is shortlisted.
Image manipulation: Your images may be enlarged or cropped, digitally enhanced to remove scratches or spots, but must not be manipulated. You may enhance an image to make it clearer, brighter etc., but you must not manipulate the content. Hubert Burda Media UK and the judges reserve the right to exclude any image which they believe may have been excessively treated in such a way as to alter its authenticity. Computer generated images will not be accepted in the competition.
Age categories: There are no age categories, but entrants under 12 years old must have consent from their parent or guardian to be able to enter.
UK residents: Photographs must be taken in the UK, Channel Islands or the Isle of Man. The competition is open to UK residents only (including residents of the Channel Islands and Isle of Man). If you’re a UK resident but are out of the country during the judging process, this will not affect your entry.
Photos entered into other competitions: Any entries to the LandLove photographic competition 2018 must not have been offered for sale or have won other competitions. You must be the sole author and owner of the copyright of all images entered. Copyright in all images submitted for this competition remains with the respective entrants. Where an image is used, the photographer will be credited. However, in consideration of their providing the competition, each entrant grants a worldwide, irrevocable licence to Hubert Burda Media UK to feature any or all of the submitted images in any of their publications, their websites and/or in any promotional material connected to this competition for a period of no more than five years. Copyright remains with the photographer, where an image is used the photographer will be credited. By entering the competition, you also agree to Jessops using your entry/entries in suitable marketing materials and any promotional activity. The winners consent to the use of their image, name and/or photograph in any publicity carried out by Hubert Burda Media UK, without further compensation. Source material or proof of permission to use must be made available on request by Hubert Burda Media UK.
Hubert Burda Media UK does not accept liability for the publication of unlawfully reproduced images.
3) It is the responsibility of entrants to check thoroughly the terms and conditions that apply to each competition (available onor via post as set out below). Entrants must be 18 or over.
4) Hubert Burda Media accepts no liability for any aspect of the prize to the fullest extent permitted by UK law. There is no cash alternative, the prize is not transferable and it may not be used in conjunction with any other offer.
5) The prizes are as stated, are not transferable to another individual and no cash or other alternatives will be offered. The prize includes delivery but not installation.
6) Prizes are subject to availability and the prize suppliers' terms and conditions. In the event of a prize being unavailable, the promoter and prize supplier reserve the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
7) Proof of postage is not proof of receipt.
8) By entering you are giving permission for Hubert Burda Media UK and the competition prize provider to contact you.
9) Only one entry per person. Entrants suspected of submitting multiple entries may have all their entries rejected.
10) The competition is open to anyone in the UK over the age of 18, apart from employees of Hubert Burda Media UK and any other companies involved in the competition, including employees of Fenetic, their families, associated agents or anyone else who is directly connected with the creation or administration of such competitions.
11) The Editor’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
12) The winner will be selected at random from all correct entries received.
13) Whilst every effort is made to ensure prizes are consistent with those offered, we reserve the right to change prizes in the event of unforeseen circumstances. If any prize winner cannot take a prize for any reason, including by reason of inconvenient dates, ill health, inability to travel etc., then Hubert Burda Media UK may seek an alternative prize winner who is able to receive the prize in the manner offered and shall be under no obligation to change the prize or offer any alternative.
14) Hubert Burda Media UK reserves the right to take action (including any legal action it considers appropriate) against any person in breach of any term or condition of any competition.
15) Hubert Burda Media UK may change the terms and conditions that apply to any competition at its discretion. Any such changes may be posted on the LandLove website or otherwise notified to entrants. It is the responsibility of entrants to check thoroughly the terms and conditions that apply to each competition.
16) There is no provision for third party offers or codes in conjunction with this offer. Reproduction of this competition in whole or in part without written permission is prohibited. Hubert Burda Media UK reserves the right to prosecute any offending parties.
17) Winners must be willing to participate in publicity if required.