We are giving away 10 copies of Michael Sanchez' guide to keeping your collected treasures in tip top condition and displaying them for all to see
Loaded with hands-on, kid-friendly projects, Natural History Collector: Hunt, Discover, Learn! will teach budding nature collectors techniques for cleaning, caring for, and displaying discovered treasures.
Coming home from the beach or a walk in the woods with a fine collection of rocks, shells, pine cones, insects and seed pods is easy. The trick is knowing what to do with them once you get them back to your room. Instead of stuffing them in an old box, or letting them sit at the bottom of your rucksack, learn how to identify, preserve, and display your treasures!
The opening chapter introduces kids to different ways of creating their personal field guides for keeping track of what they see, when and where they see it, and what makes it interesting. They’ll move on to techniques for cleaning and caring for treasures, such as drying flowers, pressing leaves, and desalinizing rocks and shells.?
The book’s drawings and photographs will help kids discover what to look for when they examine insects, feathers, seeds, and minerals. Extra projects focus on display; making shadow boxes, creating collectors’ cases from egg cartons and candy boxes, labelling, hanging, and mounting collections.
Michael Sanchez is an educator at the New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science in Albuquerque. He became interested in nature, "bugs", seashells, and dinosaurs from a very early age and went on to get a degree in biological anthropology from the University of New Mexico.
For your chance to enter, simply answer the question below:
3) It is the responsibility of entrants to check thoroughly the terms and conditions that apply to each competition (available onor via post as set out below). Entrants must be 18 or over.
4) Hubert Burda Media accepts no liability for any aspect of the prize to the fullest extent permitted by UK law. There is no cash alternative, the prize is not transferable and it may not be used in conjunction with any other offer.
5) The prizes are as stated, are not transferable to another individual and no cash or other alternatives will be offered. The prize includes delivery but not installation.
6) Prizes are subject to availability and the prize suppliers' terms and conditions. In the event of a prize being unavailable, the promoter and prize supplier reserve the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
7) Proof of postage is not proof of receipt.
8) By entering you are giving permission for Hubert Burda Media UK and the competition prize provider to contact you.
9) Only one entry per person. Entrants suspected of submitting multiple entries may have all their entries rejected.
10) The competition is open to anyone in the UK over the age of 18, apart from employees of Hubert Burda Media UK and any other companies involved in the competition, including employees of Fenetic, their families, associated agents or anyone else who is directly connected with the creation or administration of such competitions.
11) The Editor’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
12) The winner will be selected at random from all correct entries received.
13) Whilst every effort is made to ensure prizes are consistent with those offered, we reserve the right to change prizes in the event of unforeseen circumstances. If any prize winner cannot take a prize for any reason, including by reason of inconvenient dates, ill health, inability to travel etc., then Hubert Burda Media UK may seek an alternative prize winner who is able to receive the prize in the manner offered and shall be under no obligation to change the prize or offer any alternative.
14) Hubert Burda Media UK reserves the right to take action (including any legal action it considers appropriate) against any person in breach of any term or condition of any competition.
15) Hubert Burda Media UK may change the terms and conditions that apply to any competition at its discretion. Any such changes may be posted on the LandLove website or otherwise notified to entrants. It is the responsibility of entrants to check thoroughly the terms and conditions that apply to each competition.
16) There is no provision for third party offers or codes in conjunction with this offer. Reproduction of this competition in whole or in part without written permission is prohibited. Hubert Burda Media UK reserves the right to prosecute any offending parties.
17) Winners must be willing to participate in publicity if required.