10oz / 250g butter, softened
10oz / 250g soft dark brown sugar
4 large eggs
8oz / 200g self-raising flour
2oz / 50g cocoa powder
10floz / 250ml Double cream
4 ½ oz / 120g Milk Chocolate McVitie’s Digestives Nibbles
1lb / 450g mixed summer berries, strawberries (hulled and halved if large), raspberries, blackberries and blueberries
1. Preheat oven to fan oven 180C or conventional oven 190C/375F/Gas Mark 5. Grease and line 2 x 8in/20cm sandwich tins with baking parchment.
2. Put the butter and sugar into a bowl and beat together until paler and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs one at a time adding a spoonful of flour with the last egg. Beat well.
3. Sieve the flour and cocoa together and fold into the creamed mixture. Spoon into the prepared tins and bake for 20-25 minutes until the sponge springs back when pressed.
4. Cool in tin for 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Whip the cream until it holds its shape. Fold in half of the Milk Chocolate McVitie’s Digestives Nibbles and half of the fruit. Use to sandwich the cakes together, reserving 2 tbsp/2x15mlsp cream for the top.
6. Spread reserved cream over the top of the cake. Scatter remaining fruit and McVitie’s Digestives Nibbles on top of cake. Cut into slices and serve.