125g wholemeal plain flour
5 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons baking powder
Zest and juice of a lime
150g soft brown sugar
175ml rapeseed oil
2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon golden syrup
50ml semi-skimmed milk
25g icing sugar
1. Pre-heat the oven to 160ºC/Gas Mark 3. Lightly grease a 16cm square cake tin and line with baking parchment.
2. Mix together the oatmeal, flour, ginger, baking powder and lime zest then stir in the sugar.
3. Place the oil, eggs, syrup and milk into a small bowl and lightly whisk.
4. Make a well in the centre of the flour then pour in the oil mixture and gently fold in.
5. Pour into the cake tin and bake for 45-50 minutes or until the cake feels firm. Test with a skewer to be sure – the skewer should come out clean.
6. Allow the cake to cool slightly in the tin before turning out onto a cooling rack. Once cooled mix together the icing sugar with enough lime juice to form a glacé icing. Drizzle the icing over the cake and finish with extra lime zest if required.
Tip: Add some drained and finely chopped stem ginger to the cake mix before baking.
Recipe courtesy of www.RapeseedOilBenefits.com