100g butter, softened
100g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the caramel icing:
100g caster sugar
25g unsalted butter
100ml double cream
25ml Belvoir elderflower cordial
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/180ºC for a fan oven.
2. Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and use a wooden spoon to beat together until pale, light and fluffy.
3. Beat the eggs in a jug then gradually add to the butter mixture, beating well between additions.
4. Sift over the flour and baking powder then gently fold in along with the vanilla extract.
5. Line a cupcake tin with paper cake cases and half fill each case with the cake mixture.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cakes have risen and look golden. Cool on a rack then decorate.
7. To make the icing, heat the sugar, butter and a tablespoon of water in a small pan on a medium/high heat. Stir a little until it starts to brown. Stir in the double cream and allow to bubble for another 5 minutes or until all the sugar has dissolved and you have a smooth sauce. Lastly, add the cordial and stir through. Keep warm until needed.
Recipe courtesy of www.belvoirfruitfarms.co.uk