200g unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 large eggs
zest and juice of 6 lemons
375g plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the filling:
100g raspberry jam
200g lemon curd
For the topping:
200g icing sugar, sifted
60ml lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4 and grease and line two Pyrex 20cm Cake Pans.
2. Beat the butter and sugar for three minutes until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and the lemon zest.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt in a small bowl.
4. Stir the buttermilk, vanilla and lemon juice in a separate bowl.
5. Beat the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately into the batter. Divide the batter evenly between the pans and bake for 35-45 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from the tins and leave to cool completely.
6. Spread the raspberry jam over one of the cakes. Top with the lemon curd, spreading it into an even layer.
7. Whisk the icing sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Add the other cake on top and drizzle over the icing sugar glaze. Decorate with fresh raspberries.
Recipe courtesy of Pyrex