5 large eggs
150g caster sugar
A few drops of vanilla extract
150g plain flour, sifted
100ml vegetable oil
200ml whipping cream
100g Rachel’s fat free strawberry and rhubarb yoghurt
4 tablespoons strawberry conserve
150g fresh strawberries, sliced
Icing sugar, to decorate
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 and grease and line two 20cm round sandwich tins.
2. Whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla using an electric whisk. The mixture should double in volume and leave a trail.
3. Using a large metal spoon add half the flour and gently fold in. Follow this with half the oil then add the remaining flour and oil.
4. Pour the batter into each tin evenly. Bake for approximately 35 minutes or until golden and springy to touch.
5. Allow the sponges to cool slightly in the tins and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. Meanwhile,whip the cream until soft peaks form and gently fold in the yoghurt – try and achieve a ripple effect.
7. Sandwich the cakes by spreading over the strawberry conserve then add the sliced strawberries and spread over the cream and yoghurt mixture.
8. Dust with icing sugar and serve, or chill until required.
Recipe courtesy of www.rachelsorganic.co.uk