275g plain flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
50g caster sugar
Grated zest & juice of 1 orange
2 Happy Co eggs
200ml semi-skimmed milk
75g butter, melted
100g strawberries, chopped
12 whole strawberries with leafy stalks
For the mint syrup:
100g caster sugar
Handful of fresh mint leaves
1. Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 6/200°C/400°F. Place the flour, baking powder, sugar and grated orange zest into a mixing bowl and stir together. Mix together the eggs, milk, melted butter and orange juice and then add these to the dry ingredients.
2. Gently mix the ingredients together, adding the chopped strawberries. Line a 12 deep muffin tin with paper cases and spoon the mixture into the cases. Filling them almost to the top. Place a strawberry into the top of each muffin.
3. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until well risen, golden and firm to the touch.
Allow to cool on a cooling rack.
4. Place the sugar, water and mint leaves into a small pan. Bring to the boil and then simmer for about 8-10 minutes until the mixture has reduced by about half and is a thin syrup. Put through a sieve to remove the mint leaves and pour into a jug.
5. Serve the strawberry muffins with a large dollop of clotted cream and generous drizzle of mint syrup.
Recipe courtesy of www.thehappyegg.co.uk.