For the cupcakes:
100g softened butter
100g caster sugar
½ teaspoon flavouring eg. vanilla extract
2 medium Happy Eggs
100g self-raising flour
For the buttercream:
125g unsalted butter
804g icing sugar
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon flavouring e.g. rose, violet extract or lemon juice
1. Mix the butter, sugar and flavouring together until light and fluffy.
2. Mix the eggs together in a separate bowl, then slowly add to the butter mixture. If the mixture starts to curdle, add a tablespoon of flour.
3. Fold in the rest of the flour until it has an even consistency. if the mixture won’t drop off the spoon, it’s too thick, so add a little warm water.
4. Place a spoonful into each paper cupcake case, it should be filled to approx 2/3.
5. Bake in an oven pre-heated to 180ºC for 10-12 minutes until golden brown on top.
6. Remove from the oven and cool on a rack.
7. To make the buttercream, mix the butter until it becomes a smooth paste.
8. Add the icing sugar, salt, milk and flavouring and whisk until smooth and creamy.
9. Decorate the cooled cupcakes by piping the buttercream on top.
Recipe courtesy of www.thehappyegg.co.uk