For the cupcakes:
110g caster sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla paste
100g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
4-6 tablespoons lemon curd
For the meringue icing:
2 egg whites
100g caster sugar
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC and line a 12-hole cupcake tin with paper cases.
2. Start by creaming the butter and sugar together until smooth, then whisk in the eggs, milk and vanilla paste. Sift in the flour and baking powder and stir until the batter is smooth and well combined. Fill each cupcake case with the batter. Bake for 15 minutes.
3. Wait until the cupcakes are cool enough to touch, then put a few tablespoons of the curd into a piping bag and squeeze the curd inside the cupcake. Repeat for the rest of the cupcakes then leave to cool completely.
4. To make the meringue, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form then slowly add the sugar and keep whisking until stiff and glossy. You should be able to hold up the bowl without any falling out.
5. Take a large nozzle and a piping bag and pipe the meringue on top of the cupcakes then toast lightly with a blow torch or under a low heat grill, until the edges are golden brown.
6. Let the icing set in the fridge before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Hannah Bakes Things for Silver Mushroom