150ml sunflower oil
120g caster or maple sugar
90g pure maple syrup
175g self-raising flower
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon crushed cloves
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
115g grated carrots
25g desiccated coconut
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC/Gas Mark 4. Butter a 900g loaf tin and line with greaseproof paper.
2. Whisk together the oil, sugar, eggs and maple syrup.
3. Beat in the flour, spices and bicarbonate of soda and then add the carrots and coconut. Mix well.
4. Pour the mix into the prepared tin and bake for 40 minutes. To test it is cooked, stick a skewer into the middle of the cake – if it comes out clean it is ready.
5. Once cooked, allow to rest for 10 minutes before turning out.
Recipe courtesy of www.lovemaple.com