300g plain flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
A good pinch of salt
165g Applewood cheese, grated (plus a little extra for sprinkling on top)
200g wholemeal flour
2 tablespoons fresh chives (or other herbs such as parsley, sage, oregano)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200oC/180oC Fan/Gas Mark 6. Sift the plain flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl. Stir in the Applewood cheese, wholemeal flour and chives.
2. In a small bowl beat the egg with the milk and oil. When well combined pour the egg and milk mixture into the flour and use a spoon or knife to mix into a dough, adding a little extra milk if the dough is too dry. The dough should be soft, don’t over work it.
3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and carefully roll out until 2cm thick.
4. Cut out the scones and place onto a lightly greased baking tray. Gather up the remaining dough, re-roll and repeat.
5. Sprinkle the scones with a little Applewood cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes until the scones are pale and golden. Serve warm with lashings of butter.
Recipe courtesy of www.applewoodcheese.co.uk