2. Place a wide casserole pan over a medium-high heat and add enough olive oil to generously coat the bottom of the pan.
3. Season diced lamb well with salt and pepper and fry in the pan in batches, browning it all over.
4. Remove the meat with a slotted spoon once it's browned and set aside. Pre-heat the oven to 150°C/Gas Mark 2.
5. After removing the lamb reduce the heat slightly, add a couple more tablespoons of the oil to the pan and fry the onion, red pepper, chilli and garlic until soft but not too coloured. Add the cloves, star anise and cinnamon stick, then season with the black pepper.
6. Fry for a further 3-5 minutes then add the tomato paste and stir for another 2 minutes. Next add the saffron, apricots, raisins and wine.
7. Let the wine come to the boil before adding the tinned tomatoes.
8. Add the meat back to the pot along with the stock. Bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer then cover with a lid and place in the oven for 2-3 hours.
9. Before serving, add the chickpeas and stir in the honey and herbs. Serve piping hot with rice.
Recipe courtesy of Great British Chefs