1. Pre-heat the oven to 180ËšC/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a 23cm loose-bottomed cake tin.
2. Break the chocolate into pieces and put in a food processor. Blitz until crumbed but not totally powdered - some larger pieces will give the cake a great texture.
3. Add the beetroot and blend together. Then add the remaining ingredients to the processor and whizz until well mixed. Pour into the prepared cake tin and lightly level out the surface.
4. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. The surface of the cake may have cracked a little. Allow the cake to cool for a few minutes in the tin before transferring to a cooling rack.
5. Dust lightly with icing sugar and serve in wedges. For dessert, this cake is great with a little crème fraiche on the side.
Recipe courtesy of www.lovebeetroot.co.uk