4 slices of bread, to make breadcrumbs
5 free-range eggs
8 of your favourite sausages
1. Place the bread in an oven at 150°C/300°F/Gas Mark 2 for 20 minutes until completely dried. When cool, place in a plastic bag and crush until you have breadcrumbs.
2. Parboil the eggs by putting them in gently boiling water for 4 minutes (if the eggs are at room temperature), or 6 minutes (if they are from the fridge).
3. Place the eggs in cold water for a few minutes, gently tapping them to crack the shell. The shell will now peel off easily.
4. Take the sausages and slice off the skins. Remove the meat, dividing it into 4. Gently squeeze and shape the sausage meat evenly around four of the eggs.
5. Crack the remaining egg into a bowl and whisk with a fork. Put the flour in a bowl and the breadcrumbs in another bowl.
6. Dip each of the scotch eggs in the whisked egg, then roll them in the flour, then the breadcrumbs. Place on a baking tray and cook in a pre-heated oven at 160°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3 for 30 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of www.thehappyegg.co.uk