For the icing:
Zest 1 lemon, plus 1 tablespoon juice
150g icing sugar
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4, line a 12-hole muffin tray with cases.
2. In a saucepan, add the golden syrup, black treacle, butter, dark brown sugar, stem ginger and both ground spices. Warm gently until butter and sugar have melted.
3. Purée the beetroot in a food processor and blend with the eggs, milk and bicarbonate of soda.
4. Once the butter and sugar have melted, take the saucepan off the heat and add the milk, eggs & beetroot.
5. Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl and beat in the wet ingredients until they are smooth - the batter will be quite runny.
6. Fill the muffin cases with the batter - this is easier if you use a jug - and bake in the pre-heated oven until firm but springy to the touch. Be careful not to overcook the muffins, they are nice a little sticky. Remove from the tin and allow to cool on a rack.
7. Whilst the muffins are cooling make the icing by beating all the ingredients to a smooth paste. Drizzle over the muffins when they are completely cold. These muffins keep really well for a few days in an airtight tin.
Recipe courtesy of www.lovebeetroot.co.uk