For the frosting:
100g The Groovy Food Company Virgin Coconut oil, solid
200g icing sugar
1 tablespoon water
Desiccated coconut, to decorate
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a 900g loaf tin and set aside. In a clean dry bowl separate the eggs putting the egg whites into the clean bowl and the yolks into a cup.
2. Beat the coconut oil and brown sugar in with a standard mixer until pale and fluffy. Add the yolks one by one beating well. Tip in the grated carrot, walnuts and coconut and fold together. Whip your egg whites until they hold stiff peaks that are slightly less firm than a meringue.
3. Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl and fold half into the carrot mix. Add half of the whipped egg whites and fold them in. Add the remaining egg whites and fold in until combined. Pour into the loaf tin and level out the top.
4. Bake for 35-40 minutes until a skewer comes out cleanly from the middle. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes then remove from the tin and leave to cool.
5. To make the frosting, beat the coconut oil until fluffy then add the icing sugar and mix. Add the water and mix again until smooth.
6. Spread the frosting over the top of the cake with a palette knife and sprinkle with desiccated coconut. Top with whole pieces of walnuts if desired.
Recipe courtesy of Sophie Hunter Clandestine Cake Club Stoke on Trent